Made for Christmas dinner. Very good. I did not peel potatoes however, that's the most nutritious part, I would use a little more cheese, I did use more onions. Another suggestion if you want it richer would be half and half instead of milk. Really liked it, easy to put together and got rave reviews
Caramelized Onion Mashed Potato Bake
Tasty additions like caramelized onions and Gruyere cheese turn ordinary mashed potatoes into company-worthy Caramelized Onion Mashed Potato Bake.
More From Southern Living
Total: 50 Minutes
- 4 pounds baking potatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/4 cups warm buttermilk
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups freshly grated Gruyère cheese
- 1 cup chopped caramelized onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1. Peel potatoes; cut into 2-inch pieces. Bring potatoes, 2 tsp. salt, and water to cover to a boil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat; boil 20 minutes or until tender. Drain. Return potatoes to Dutch oven, reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring occasionally, 3 to 5 minutes or until potatoes are dry.
- 2. Mash potatoes with a potato masher to desired consistency. Stir in warm buttermilk, warm milk, melted butter, pepper, and 1 tsp. salt, stirring just until blended.
- 3. Stir in Gruyère cheese, caramelized onions, and parsley, and spoon the mixture into a lightly greased 2 1/2-qt. baking dish or 8 (10-oz.) ramekins. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note