Caramelized Onion Macaroni and Cheese
Feel free to omit the pecans in this recipe. It will still taste fantastic.
More From Southern Living
Bake: 1 Hour
Stand: 10 Minutes
- 1 (8-oz.) package large elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 (16-oz.) block white Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded Parmesan cheese
- 32 saltine crackers, finely crushed and divided
- 6 large eggs
- 4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 1. Prepare macaroni according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- 2. Melt 2 Tbsp. butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sliced onions and 1 tsp. sugar. Cook, stirring often, 15 to 20 minutes or until onions are caramel-colored.
- 3. Layer half each of macaroni, onions, cheeses, and cracker crumbs in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Layer with remaining macaroni, onions, and cheeses.
- 4. Whisk together eggs and next 3 ingredients; pour over macaroni mixture.
- 5. Stir together remaining cracker crumbs, melted butter, and, if desired, pecans. Sprinkle evenly over macaroni mixture.
- 6. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until golden brown and set. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note