Wonderful!!! Made this for Thanksgiving and everyone loved it. The sweetness of the onion and the sharpness of the cheese really works.
Caramelized Onion Macaroni and Cheese
Feel free to omit the pecans in this recipe. It'll still taste fantastic.
Yield: Makes 8 to 10 servings
- 1 (8-ounce) package large elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 (16-ounce) block white Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Parmesan cheese
- 32 saltine crackers, finely crushed and divided
- 6 large eggs
- 4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Prepare macaroni according to package directions; set aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sliced onions and 1 teaspoon sugar. Cook, stirring often, 15 to 20 minutes or until onions are caramel colored.
- Layer half each of cooked macaroni, onions, cheeses, and cracker crumbs in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Layer with remaining macaroni, onions, and cheeses.
- Whisk together eggs and next 3 ingredients; pour over macaroni mixture.
- Stir together remaining half of cracker crumbs, 2 tablespoons melted butter, and, if desired, pecans. Sprinkle evenly over macaroni mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until golden brown and set. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note