This lasgna has the most delicious flavors and has been a go-to recipe for years! I do a few tweaks though that work for me as I've been making it so many times. First we use spinach instead of zucchini, I either saute fresh spinach with garlic or just use thawed frozen spinach. I also caramelize at least 3lbs of onions...it takes forever, so if I can, I complete that step a different day. Finally, I use the no-cook noodles instead of cooking regular noodles and it works just fine. This tastes even better the next day!
Caramelized-Onion Lasagna with Gorgonzola Sauce
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 407
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 11.8g
- Saturated fat: 6.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 19.8g
- Carbohydrate: 56.4g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Cholesterol: 31mg
- Iron: 2.8mg
- Sodium: 534mg
- Calcium: 440mg
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 8 cups thinly sliced onion (about 2 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 pounds zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 (12-ounce) cans evaporated fat-free milk
- 1 1/4 cups (5 ounces) crumbled Gorgonzola or other blue cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Cooking spray
- 12 cooked lasagna noodles
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Melt 2 teaspoons butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, thyme, salt, and pepper; cook 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the wine; cook 2 minutes or until wine evaporates. Spoon into a bowl; cool.
- Melt 1 teaspoon butter in pan over medium-high heat. Add half of the zucchini; cook 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove from pan. Add remaining zucchini; cook 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Set aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add flour; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly with a whisk. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk. Cook 5 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add Gorgonzola and nutmeg; stir until cheese melts.
- Spread 1/4 cup cheese sauce in the bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 4 noodles slightly overlapping over cheese sauce; top with half of onion mixture, half of zucchini, and 1 cup cheese sauce. Repeat layers, ending with noodles. Spread the remaining cheese sauce over noodles. Sprinkle with Parmesan. Cover and bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Caramelized-Onion Lasagna with Gorgonzola Sauce Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Casseroles