This was the nastiest gravy I think I've ever made. The browned flour just gave it a really grainy/gritty texture and it definitely needs salt.
Caramelized Onion Gravy
Browned gravy creates the base for rich Caramelized Onion Gravy. It retains all the savory flavor of traditional gravy but without all the fat.
This recipe goes with Fried Pork Chops with Caramelized Onion Gravy
More From Southern Living
Total: 1 Hour, 15 Minutes
- 1/2 cup diced sweet onion
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup Browned Flour
- 1 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon jarred chicken soup base
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1. Sauté onion in hot oil in a 3-qt. saucepan over medium heat 6 to 8 minutes or until golden brown.
- 2. Place Browned Flour in a bowl; gradually whisk in milk until smooth. Add milk mixture to onion, and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, 3 to 5 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Whisk in soup base and pepper until blended.
- Note: We tested with Superior Touch Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base.
We tested with Superior Touch Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note