Caramelized Onion, Gorgonzola, and Walnut Focaccia
The sweetness of the caramelized onions is a great flavor contrast to the sharp blue cheese.
More From Oxmoor House
Other: 1 Hour, 20 Minutes
- Calories: 135
- Fat: 3.9g
- Saturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 4.5g
- Carbohydrate: 20.7g
- Cholesterol: 3mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 210mg
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Calcium: 30mg
- 2 packages dry yeast (about 4 1/2 teaspoons)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup warm water (100Â° to 110Â°)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 cups thinly sliced onion (about 2 large)
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled Gorgonzola or other blue cheese
- Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Add salt; stir to dissolve.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Add 2 1/2 cups flour to yeast mixture, stirring until a soft dough forms. Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 8 minutes). Add enough of remaining 1/4 cup flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands.
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, about 45 minutes or until doubled in size. (Gently press two fingers into dough. If indention remains, dough has risen enough.)
- While dough rises, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion; cover and cook 30 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Uncover and cook 5 to 10 minutes or until onion is golden brown and most of liquid evaporates, stirring often.
- Punch dough down. Pat dough into a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray. (If dough resists stretching, let rest 5 minutes before proceeding.) Spread onion evenly over dough. Sprinkle walnuts and Gorgonzola evenly over top; cover and let rise in a warm place 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Bake at 400° for 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Cut into 15 pieces.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads