Caramelized Onion, Fig, and Blue Cheese Strudel
HOWARD L. PUCKETT
A first-course dish, this strudel got the highest possible rating for taste in our Test Kitchens.
Yield: 8 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 272
- Calories from fat: 21%
- Fat: 6.4g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 6g
- Carbohydrate: 51g
- Fiber: 5.3g
- Cholesterol: 11mg
- Iron: 1.6mg
- Sodium: 296mg
- Calcium: 125mg
- 1 cup diced dried figs (about 10 figs)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup apricot nectar
- 1/3 cup honey
- Butter-flavored cooking spray
- 2 cups coarsely chopped sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- 8 sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- 2 teaspoons powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, and cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 30 minutes.
- Coat a medium nonstick skillet with cooking spray; place over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion and vinegar; cook 20 minutes or until deep golden, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in fig mixture and cheese. Set aside.
- Place 1 phyllo sheet on work surface (cover remaining dough to keep from drying); lightly coat with cooking spray. Working with 1 phyllo sheet at a time, coat remaining 7 phyllo sheets with cooking spray, placing one on top of the other. Place a sheet of plastic wrap over phyllo, pressing gently to seal sheets together; discard plastic wrap.
- Spoon onion mixture along 1 long edge of phyllo, leaving a 2-inch border. Fold over the short edges of phyllo to cover 2 inches of onion mixture on each end.
- Starting at long edge with 2-inch border, roll up jelly-roll fashion. (Do not roll tightly, or strudel may split.) Place strudel, seam side down, on a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray. Score diagonal slits into top of strudel using a sharp knife. Lightly spray strudel with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle powdered sugar over top. Serve warm.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Caramelized Onion, Fig, and Blue Cheese Strudel Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Appetizers