I'd give this a five except I think it's my changes that bumped it up there. First, I substituted sharp cheddar for swiss and added 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil, 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms, and gold as well as red peppers. Big flavor boosters that made this dish really delicious. Made 2/3 of the recipe and baked in 8x8 inch pan. Husband ate two servings, I had one, and I'll have the last one for breakfast. We ate this for dinner with steamed broccoli and some sauteed asparagus with lemon and garlic.
Caramelized Onion and Canadian Bacon Strata
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 340
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 11.5g
- Saturated fat: 5.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 21.8g
- Carbohydrate: 37g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 105mg
- Iron: 2.4mg
- Sodium: 926mg
- Calcium: 358mg
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 1/2 cups vertically sliced onion
- 1 1/3 cups finely chopped red bell pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped Canadian bacon
- 6 cups (1-inch) cubed sourdough bread (about 12 ounces)
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, and sauté 4 minutes. Reduce heat; cook 10 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add bell pepper; cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in bacon.
- Arrange 3 cups bread in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray; top with half of onion mixture. Repeat layer with remaining bread and onion mixture.
- Combine milk and next 5 ingredients (milk through eggs) in a medium bowl; stir well with a whisk. Pour egg mixture over bread mixture, and top with the cheese. Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Let the casserole stand 30 minutes at room temperature. Uncover and bake at 375° for 40 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch