- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 1/2 cups vertically sliced onion
- 1 1/3 cups finely chopped red bell pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped Canadian bacon
- 6 cups (1-inch) cubed sourdough bread (about 12 ounces)
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- calories 340
- caloriesfromfat 30 %
- fat 11.5 g
- satfat 5.7 g
- monofat 3.7 g
- polyfat 1.1 g
- protein 21.8 g
- carbohydrate 37 g
- fiber 2 g
- cholesterol 105 mg
- iron 2.4 mg
- sodium 926 mg
- calcium 358 mg
How to Make It
Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, and sauté 4 minutes. Reduce heat; cook 10 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add bell pepper; cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in bacon.
Arrange 3 cups bread in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray; top with half of onion mixture. Repeat layer with remaining bread and onion mixture.
Combine milk and next 5 ingredients (milk through eggs) in a medium bowl; stir well with a whisk. Pour egg mixture over bread mixture, and top with the cheese. Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight.
Preheat oven to 375°.
Let the casserole stand 30 minutes at room temperature. Uncover and bake at 375° for 40 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.