So simple and yet so good! I pretty much just used the concept and made delicious open sandwiches with previously caramelized onions, Canadian bacon and eggs over easy. A special treat for a Sunday morning.
Caramelized Onion, Canadian Bacon, and Egg Sandwiches
Great for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, this sandwich would be well paired with a simple fruit salad. Use yellow onions if you prefer intensely sweet caramelized onions. The sandwich also is tasty on toasted whole wheat English muffins.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 363
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 2.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.5g
- Protein: 18.5g
- Carbohydrate: 51.3g
- Fiber: 5.5g
- Cholesterol: 225mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Sodium: 934mg
- Calcium: 89mg
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 1/2 cups thinly vertically sliced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon tarragon vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices Canadian bacon
- Cooking spray
- 4 large eggs
- 8 (1 1/2-ounce) slices hearty white bread, toasted (such as Pepperidge Farm)
- Heat canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, sugar, vinegar, salt, and pepper; sauté 8 minutes or until golden. Remove onion mixture from pan. Add Canadian bacon to pan; cook 1 minute on each side or until lightly browned. Remove Canadian bacon from pan.
- Wipe pan clean with paper towels. Coat pan with cooking spray. Reduce heat to medium. Add eggs to pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Layer 1 Canadian bacon slice, 1/4 cup onion mixture, and 1 egg on each of 4 bread slices. Top with remaining bread slices.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note