Caramelized Onion Breakfast Casserole
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 4 strip(s) bacon
- 1 sweet onion halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cup(s) broccoli florets
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/3 cup(s) milk
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) dried basil, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) ground black pepper
- 4 cup(s) crusty sourdough bread, cut in 1/4 inch cubes
- 4 ounce(s) Muenster or Swiss cheese, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1. In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Transfer bacon to plate lined with paper towels to drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings in the skillet. Crumble bacon; set aside. Add onion to skillet; cover and cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover and cook over medium heat until caramelized, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, cook broccoli in a small amount of lightly salted water for 3 minutes; drain.
- 2. In same skillet; cook onion in bacon drippings, covered, over medium-low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover; cook over medium heat about 5 minutes, until caramelized. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan cook broccoli in enough lightly salted water to cover for 3 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- 3. In a large bowl combine eggs, milk, basil, salt and pepper. Stir in bread cubes, broccoli, caramelized onion, cheese, and crumbled bacon. Transfer to a 2-quart baking dish. Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 24 hours.
- 4. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Bake casserole, covered, for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 20 to 30 minutes more or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psschmidt2 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note