Caramelized Onion Breakfast Casserole
Community Recipe from
- 4 strip(s) bacon
- 1 sweet onion halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cup(s) broccoli florets
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/3 cup(s) milk
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) dried basil, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) ground black pepper
- 4 cup(s) crusty sourdough bread, cut in 1/4 inch cubes
- 4 ounce(s) Muenster or Swiss cheese, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1. In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Transfer bacon to plate lined with paper towels to drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings in the skillet. Crumble bacon; set aside. Add onion to skillet; cover and cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover and cook over medium heat until caramelized, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, cook broccoli in a small amount of lightly salted water for 3 minutes; drain.
- 2. In same skillet; cook onion in bacon drippings, covered, over medium-low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover; cook over medium heat about 5 minutes, until caramelized. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan cook broccoli in enough lightly salted water to cover for 3 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- 3. In a large bowl combine eggs, milk, basil, salt and pepper. Stir in bread cubes, broccoli, caramelized onion, cheese, and crumbled bacon. Transfer to a 2-quart baking dish. Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 24 hours.
- 4. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Bake casserole, covered, for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 20 to 30 minutes more or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psschmidt2 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes