This I would make again for a special occasion...delicious and a keeper! My husband didn't like as well, however.
Caramelized Onion-and-Apple Tassies
Be sure to press the cream cheese pastry dough all the way up the sides of the mini muffin cups so the tart shells will be deep enough to hold a generous amount of filling.
More From Southern Living
Total: 2 Hours, 30 Minutes
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 (8-oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded Asiago cheese, divided
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 3/4 cups diced sweet onion
- 1 3/4 cups peeled and diced Granny Smith apples (about 2 large)
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon table salt
- 4 bacon slices, cooked and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1. Beat first 2 ingredients and 1/2 cup Asiago cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add flour, beating at low speed until blended. Shape mixture into 24 balls; place on a baking sheet. Cover and chill 1 hour.
- 2. Meanwhile, melt 2 Tbsp. butter in a medium skillet over medium heat; add onion, and sauté 5 minutes. Add apple and next 4 ingredients, and cook, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from heat, and cool completely.
- 3. Preheat oven to 350°. Place dough balls into cups of a lightly greased 24-cup miniature muffin pan; press dough into muffin cups, forming a shell. Sprinkle bacon into shells; top with apple mixture, mounding mixture slightly. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup Asiago cheese.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack, and sprinkle with thyme.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note