- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 (8-oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded Asiago cheese, divided
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 3/4 cups diced sweet onion
- 1 3/4 cups peeled and diced Granny Smith apples (about 2 large)
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon table salt
- 4 bacon slices, cooked and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
How to Make It
Beat first 2 ingredients and 1/2 cup Asiago cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add flour, beating at low speed until blended. Shape mixture into 24 balls; place on a baking sheet. Cover and chill 1 hour.
Meanwhile, melt 2 Tbsp. butter in a medium skillet over medium heat; add onion, and sauté 5 minutes. Add apple and next 4 ingredients, and cook, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from heat, and cool completely.
Preheat oven to 350°. Place dough balls into cups of a lightly greased 24-cup miniature muffin pan; press dough into muffin cups, forming a shell. Sprinkle bacon into shells; top with apple mixture, mounding mixture slightly. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup Asiago cheese.
Bake at 350° for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack, and sprinkle with thyme.