- 1 large whole garlic head
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 9 cups thinly sliced Vidalia or other sweet onion (about 4 large)
- 2 1/2 cups sliced leek (about 2 medium)
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 3 (10 1/2-ounce) cans low-salt chicken broth
- 2 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 6 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
- Toasted caraway seeds (optional)
- calories 249
- caloriesfromfat 24 %
- fat 6.6 g
- satfat 1.8 g
- monofat 3.4 g
- polyfat 0.8 g
- protein 9.8 g
- carbohydrate 40.1 g
- fiber 5.5 g
- cholesterol 7 mg
- iron 2.8 mg
- sodium 510 mg
- calcium 200 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 350°.
Remove white papery skin from garlic head (do not peel or separate the cloves). Rub 1 1/2 teaspoons oil over garlic head; wrap in foil. Bake at 350° for 1 hour; let cool 10 minutes. Separate cloves; squeeze to extract garlic pulp. Discard skins. Set garlic pulp aside.
Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and leek; cook 30 minutes, stirring often. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and thyme. Cook an additional 30 minutes or until onion is golden, stirring occasionally. Stir in flour. Add wine and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 30 minutes. Add garlic pulp, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and milk to onion mixture; simmer 8 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Place half of onion mixture in a blender, and process until smooth. Pour puréed mixture into a large bowl; repeat procedure with remaining onion mixture. Garnish with sour cream and caraway seeds, if desired.