1. Place pecans in a single layer in a baking sheet.
2. Bake at 350° for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly toasted.
3. Melt butter in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in onion and sugar. Cook, stirring often, 20 to 25 minutes or until onions are caramel colored. Add garlic, and cook 2 more minutes. Remove from heat, and let stand 30 minutes.
4. Process onion mixture, goat cheese, salt, and pepper in a blender or food processor 30 to 45 seconds or until ingredients are well blended and smooth. Spread mixture evenly onto cut sides of bread. Place on a baking sheet.
5. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until thoroughly heated and edges are lightly browned. Cut into 1-inch slices. Drizzle evenly with honey, and sprinkle with toasted pecans.