Yum! Used ramps instead of leeks since they're in season, and herbs de provence instead of the red pepper. Amazing flavors for such a simple dish! Would make again.
Caramelized Leeks with Roasted Salmon Fillets
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 320
- Calories from fat: 39%
- Fat: 13.9g
- Saturated fat: 2.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 5.1g
- Protein: 39.2g
- Carbohydrate: 7.6g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Cholesterol: 111mg
- Iron: 2.5mg
- Sodium: 339mg
- Calcium: 51mg
- 2 leeks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2. Remove roots, outer leaves, and tops from leeks. Cut leeks in half lengthwise. Rinse thoroughly with cold water, and cut each half into 3-inch julienne strips.
- 3. Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add leeks to pan; cook 4 minutes or until slightly wilted, stirring occasionally. Stir in brown sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook 20 minutes or until edges are browned, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in juice. Keep warm.
- 4. Place salmon on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; sprinkle salmon with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and 1/8 teaspoon red pepper. Bake salmon at 400° for 8 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork or until desired degree of doneness. Place 1 fillet on each of 4 plates; top with 2 tablespoons leek mixture.
- Wine note: Salmon pairs comfortably with red or white wine. But the natural sweetness of the leeks can be a challenge for very dry or tannic wines, making them seem hollow or bitter. Try a Washington State Riesling like Hayman and Hill Reserve Selection ($15). This aromatic white has good weight, lively acidity, and a touch of sweetness on the finish that will balance the whole meal. —Jeffery Lindenmuth
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This