This was really moist. I made a few adjustments based on previous reviews. I Used one cup of AP flour. 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour, 7/8 cup of ground flax seed, 1/8 cup self rising flour. Added vanilla essence and hazelnut liquor to the cooled banana mixture. Omitted the brown butter glaze but was still delicious.
Caramelized Banana Bread with Browned Butter Glaze
A few smart techniques take banana bread to the next level: Cooking ripe banana slices in butter deepens the sweet banana flavor, while browned butter gives the glaze nutty richness.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 31 Minutes
- Calories: 190
- Fat: 6.3g
- Saturated fat: 2.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 3g
- Carbohydrate: 30.5g
- Fiber: 1g
- Cholesterol: 30mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 173mg
- Calcium: 26mg
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened and divided
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3 medium ripe bananas, sliced
- 1/2 cup fat-free buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons amber or gold rum
- 2 large eggs
- 9 ounces all-purpose flour (about 2 cups)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Baking spray with flour (such as Baker's Joy)
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons half-and-half
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add brown sugar and bananas; sauté 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; cool 10 minutes. Place banana mixture in a large bowl. Beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth.
- 3. Combine buttermilk and next 3 ingredients (through eggs). Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Add flour mixture and buttermilk mixture alternately to banana mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture; beat at low speed just until combined. Scrape batter into a 9 x 5-inch metal loaf pan coated with baking spray. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs clinging. Cool for 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack. Remove bread from pan, and cool on wire rack.
- 4. Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in a small, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook 3 minutes or until butter begins to brown; remove from heat. Add powdered sugar and half-and-half, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Drizzle glaze over bread. Let stand until glaze sets.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note