nice texture, excellent taste. fine grain, browned butter adds a good buttery taste. in comparison, i made bananas foster bread, this recipe was far superior, although similar in ingredients.
Caramelized Banana Bread with Browned Butter Glaze
A few smart techniques take banana bread to the next level: Cooking ripe banana slices in butter deepens the sweet banana flavor, while browned butter gives the glaze nutty richness.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 31 Minutes
- Calories: 190
- Fat: 6.3g
- Saturated fat: 2.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 3g
- Carbohydrate: 30.5g
- Fiber: 1g
- Cholesterol: 30mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 173mg
- Calcium: 26mg
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened and divided
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3 medium ripe bananas, sliced
- 1/2 cup fat-free buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons amber or gold rum
- 2 large eggs
- 9 ounces all-purpose flour (about 2 cups)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Baking spray with flour (such as Baker's Joy)
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons half-and-half
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add brown sugar and bananas; sauté 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; cool 10 minutes. Place banana mixture in a large bowl. Beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth.
- 3. Combine buttermilk and next 3 ingredients (through eggs). Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Add flour mixture and buttermilk mixture alternately to banana mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture; beat at low speed just until combined. Scrape batter into a 9 x 5-inch metal loaf pan coated with baking spray. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs clinging. Cool for 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack. Remove bread from pan, and cool on wire rack.
- 4. Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in a small, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook 3 minutes or until butter begins to brown; remove from heat. Add powdered sugar and half-and-half, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Drizzle glaze over bread. Let stand until glaze sets.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note