- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1 1/3 cups mashed cooked sweet potatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup chopped dates
- 3/4 cup crushed round buttery crackers
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Caramel Whipped Cream Filling
- Garnish: pecan halves
How to Make It
Beat egg yolks and next 5 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Stir in pecans, dates, and crackers.
Beat egg whites and cream of tartar at high speed until foamy. Add sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until soft peaks form and sugar dissolves. Fold into yolk mixture. Line 3 (8-inch) round cakepans with wax paper; grease and flour wax paper. Pour batter into prepared pans.
Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans, peeling off wax paper; cool on wire racks.
Spread Caramel Whipped Cream Filling between layers and on top of cake. Garnish, if desired. Chill 3 to 4 hours.