Spoon extra Caramel Sauce over apple pie or grilled peaches, or add to seltzer for a caramel Italian soda. For easy cleanup, fill pot with water, and bring to a boil on the stove--the caramel will melt in a minute or two. Prep: 10 minutes; Cook: 12 minutes.
This recipe goes with Banana-Caramel Milk Shake
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons dark rum (optional)
- 1. Bring cream to just under a boil over medium heat in a medium saucepan. Combine sugar, lemon juice, and 3 tablespoons water in a separate, heavy saucepan. Place over medium heat, and, without stirring, bring to a simmer. (If sugar crystals form, dissolve with a wet pastry brush.) Swirl pan to distribute syrup as it starts to color, and cook until amber. Slowly add hot cream, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. (Mixture may spatter.) Cook 1 minute to dissolve caramel. Remove from heat.
- 2. Stir in vanilla, kosher salt, and, if desired, rum. Let cool. Store refrigerated in an airtight container up to 5 days; bring to room temperature before using.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note