This pie was a huge hit and I was specifically asked to make it again for a work Thanksgiving party. One simple change I made was to use an 11 oz package of Kraft caramel bits. This eliminated having to unwrap the candy and it was enough to fill the pie, a problem noted by others. I am sure it ups the calorie count, but who thinks pecans pie is healthy in the first place? :-)
More From Southern Living
Bake: 38 Minutes
- 1/2 (15-ounce) package refrigerated piecrusts
- 28 caramels
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans, toasted
- Chocolate-Dipped Pecans (optional)
- Fit piecrust into a 9-inch pie plate according to package directions; fold edges under, and crimp. Prick bottom and sides of piecrust with a fork.
- Bake piecrust at 400° for 6 to 8 minutes or until lightly browned; cool on wire rack.
- Combine caramels, butter, and 1/4 cup water in large saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, 5 to 7 minutes or until caramels and butter are melted; remove from heat.
- Stir together sugar and next 3 ingredients. Stir into caramel mixture until thoroughly combined. Stir in pecans. Pour into prepared crust.
- Bake pie at 400° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°, and bake 20 more minutes, shielding edges of crust with aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning. Remove pie to a wire rack to cool. Top with Chocolate-Dipped Pecans, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This