Caramel, Orange, and Date Sundaes with Pistachio Brittle
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 310
- Calories from fat: 14%
- Fat: 4.7g
- Saturated fat: 1.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 4.3g
- Carbohydrate: 64.7g
- Fiber: 5.2g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- Iron: 0.5mg
- Sodium: 51mg
- Calcium: 150mg
- 6 large navel oranges
- 1/3 cup chopped pistachios
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 1/3 cups plus 2 tablespoons water, divided
- 10 whole pitted dates, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 4 cups vanilla low-fat ice cream
- Peel and section oranges over a bowl; squeeze the membranes to extract juice. Discard membranes. Reserve 1/4 cup of juice for sauce; place orange sections in a medium bowl. Cover and chill in separate containers.
- Sprinkle pistachios into an 8-inch circle on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Place 1/2 cup of sugar and 1/3 cup of water in a small, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat; cook until sugar dissolves, stirring frequently (about 2 minutes). Cook until golden, without stirring (about 5 minutes).
- Pour caramel over pistachios; cool completely. Break brittle into large pieces; place in an airtight container. Add 1 cup water to pan; bring to a boil. Cook until any remaining caramel in pan dissolves; discard. Wipe pan clean with paper towels.
- Place remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and 2 tablespoons water in pan over medium-high heat; cook until sugar dissolves, stirring frequently (about 1 minute). Cook until golden, without stirring (about 3 minutes). Remove from heat; carefully add 1/4 cup reserved orange juice, stirring until sugar dissolves. Return pan to heat, and cook just until caramel dissolves, stirring frequently.
- Combine orange juice mixture, orange sections, dates, and cranberries. Serve over ice cream; top with brittle.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Caramel, Orange, and Date Sundaes with Pistachio Brittle Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Desserts