We gilded the lily by adding caramel icing to these yummy gingerbreads. You'll have some delectable icing left over; spoon it over banana nut bread, muffins, or pound cake.
Yield: 6 gingerbreads
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup light molasses
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup whole buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Caramel Icing
- Coarsely chopped pecans, toasted (optional)
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl; set aside.
- Combine molasses, butter, and brown sugar in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Set aside to cool. Add cooled molasses mixture to dry ingredients. Stir in buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla; stir just until batter is smooth.
- Pour batter into 6 individual connected mini Bundt pans, well-greased with shortening, filling almost full.
- Bake at 350° for 22 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on a wire rack 15 minutes; remove carefully from pans, and cool completely on wire rack.
- Drizzle icing over cakes set on wire rack. Sprinkle with chopped pecans, if desired. Let icing harden before wrapping cakes for gift giving.
- Note: Find mini Bundt pans at Williams-Sonoma or other cook stores.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This