Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful! I've made this recipe at least a dozen times now and I can't get enough of it. Everyone's always asking me to make them, too. I've done a little experimenting, and they are absolutely divine with half a teaspoon of mint extract.
Caramel-Filled Chocolate Cookies
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chopped pecans, divided
- 6 (2-ounce) packages chocolate-caramel cookie bars, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 (2-ounce) vanilla bark coating squares
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add sugars, beating well. Add eggs, 1 at a time, and vanilla, beating until blended after each addition.
- Combine flour, cocoa, and soda; add to butter mixture, beating at low speed until blended after each addition. Stir in 1/2 cup pecans. Shape 1 tablespoon dough around each candy piece, covering completely, to form balls.
- Combine remaining 1/2 cup pecans and 1 tablespoon sugar. Gently press the top of each ball into pecan mixture. Place balls, pecan sides up, 2 inches apart on baking sheets.
- Bake at 375° for 7 to 10 minutes. Cool on baking sheets 2 minutes. Remove from baking sheets; cool completely on wire racks.
- Melt coating squares in a saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly until smooth. Drizzle over cookies.
- NOTE: For testing purposes only, we used Twix Caramel Cookie Bars.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Caramel-Filled Chocolate Cookies Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts, Cookies
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Gifts, Kid-Friendly, Make-Ahead, Portable/Picnic
- CUISINE: American
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Chocolate, Dairy, Nuts
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Meatless
- COOKING METHOD: Bake
- OCCASION: Birthdays/Anniversaries, Christmas, Easter, Father's Day, Mother's Day, Valentine's Day
- PUBLICATION: Southern Living