I have never attempted to make anything even CLOSE to a flan so I was extremely surprised when my first try turned out GREAT! Soooo easy to make and the results received rave reviews. Will definitely save this recipe in my books!
More From Southern Living
Stand: 5 Minutes
Bake: 1 Hour
Chill: 3 Hours
- Calories: 220
- Calories from fat: 13%
- Fat: 3.3g
- Saturated fat: 1.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 7.7g
- Carbohydrate: 38.9g
- Fiber: 0.0g
- Cholesterol: 75mg
- Iron: 0.3mg
- Sodium: 127mg
- Calcium: 214mg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 large egg
- 1 (14-oz.) can fat-free sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (12-oz.) can evaporated fat-free milk
- 3 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1. Cook sugar in an 8-inch round cake pan (with 2-inch sides) over medium heat, shaking pan occasionally, 5 minutes or until sugar melts and turns light golden brown. Remove pan from heat, and let stand 5 minutes. (Sugar will harden.)
- 2. Process egg yolks and next 5 ingredients in a blender until smooth. Pour mixture over caramelized sugar in pan. Cover mixture with aluminum foil.
- 3. Place cake pan in a broiler pan. Add hot water (150°) to pan to a depth of 2/3 inch.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a knife inserted in center of custard comes out clean. Remove cake pan from water bath; cool completely on a wire rack. Cover and chill at least 3 hours.
- 5. Run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; invert onto a serving plate.
- Tip: The 8-oz. blocks of 1/3-less-fat cream cheese have marks on the packaging noting 1 oz. measurements. By using these marks, it is easy to measure the 3 oz. of cream cheese that you need for this recipe.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per slice.
- Banana-Caramel Custard: Prepare custard recipe as directed, adding 1 medium-size ripe banana to egg yolk mixture in blender.
- Per (1-slice) serving: Calories 231 (13% from fat); Fat 3.3g (sat 1.7g, mono 0.6g, poly 0.2g); Protein 7.8g; Carb 41.8g; Fiber 0.4g; Chol 75mg; Iron 0.3mg; Sodium 127mg; Calc 214mg
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note