I read the previous reviews and made a few changes based on them (and based on lack of attention to detail), resulting in a delicious, fluffy, subtle caramel icing. I accidentally bought thickened cream instead of whipping cream and I put all the butter in with the brown sugar. I boiled the caramel for longer than recommended as I thought that might help with the thickening and give more flavour, which it did seem to do :)
Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting
Chill: 35 Minutes
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 10 tablespoon butter, divided
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash of salt
- 1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1. Melt brown sugar and 4 tablespoons butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil over medium heat; remove from heat. Whisk in cream; blend well. Transfer to a heat-resistant bowl. Cool at room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Place remaining 6 tablespoons butter and cream cheese in a large bowl; beat with a mixer on medium-high speed until smooth. Beat in vanilla and salt. With mixer running, slowly pour in cooled brown sugar mixture; beat until smooth. Add powdered sugar gradually, beating well after each addition until completely smooth. Chill slightly for a firmer texture, stirring occasionally.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note