Excellent, wasn't sure the sugar would turn out ok. But everything was prefect! Thanks for a great recipe.
Caramel-Cream Cheese Flan
Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Lydia DeGaris Pursell
More From Southern Living
7 Hours, 10 Minutes
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 7 egg yolks
- 1 (14-oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (12-oz.) can evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg whites
- 1 (8-oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- 1. Cook 1 cup sugar in a 9-inch round cake pan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until sugar melts and turns golden brown. Remove pan from heat, and let stand 5 minutes. (Sugar will harden.)
- 2. Meanwhile, whisk together egg yolks and next 5 ingredients in a large bowl.
- 3. Process egg whites, cream cheese, and remaining 1/2 cup sugar in a blender until smooth. Add 2 cups egg yolk mixture, and process until smooth. Stir egg white mixture into remaining egg yolk mixture until blended. Pour custard over caramelized sugar in pan.
- 4. Place cake pan in a large shallow pan. Add hot water to large pan to depth of one-third up sides of cake pan.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 50 to 60 minutes or until a knife inserted into center of flan comes out clean. Remove pan from water; cool completely on a wire rack (about 2 hours). Cover and chill 4 hours to 2 days.
- 6. Run a knife around edge of flan to loosen; invert onto a serving plate. (Once inverted, the flan will take about 30 seconds to slip from the pan. Be sure to use a serving plate with a lip to catch the extra caramel sauce.)
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts