We've been making this ice cream since it was initially published and it's really delicious! The flavors sound unusual but they're delightful. We've been messing with the caramel swirl, though, for years and have not quite gotten in right so we leave it out and put a little caramel sauce on top instead.
Caramel Corn Ice Cream
Photography: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Jan Gautro
The just-frozen ice cream is still soft enough to stir in the melted caramels. For fun, sprinkle with caramel popcorn.
Yield: 7 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 240
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 6.8g
- Saturated fat: 3.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 5.7g
- Carbohydrate: 38.9g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Cholesterol: 107mg
- Iron: 0.4mg
- Sodium: 113mg
- Calcium: 139mg
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels (about 4 ears)
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- Dash of salt
- 3 large egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons 2% reduced-fat milk
- 12 small soft caramel candies
- Combine corn and half-and-half in a food processor; process until smooth (about 1 minute). Pour pureed corn mixture into a sieve over a large bowl, reserving liquid; discard solids. Add 2 cups milk, sugar, salt, and egg yolks; stir with a whisk. Pour mixture into a large saucepan; cook over medium heat until thick (do not boil), stirring constantly (about 20 minutes). Remove from heat. Place pan in a large ice-filled bowl for 30 minutes or until mixture comes to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- Combine 3 tablespoons milk and caramels in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer; cook 10 minutes or until caramels melt, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; whisk until smooth. Cool slightly.
- Pour corn mixture into the freezer can of an ice-cream freezer; freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. Stir in caramel mixture. Spoon ice cream into a freezer-safe container; cover and freeze 2 hours.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts