I was so excited about this pie. It was the only reason I even bought that issue of Southern Living. I followed the recipe exactly (like many other reviewers) and left it in the oven for the specified amount of time and it was like soup when I took it out. I've put it back in the oven, over an hour in total and it's still not setting. So. annoyed.
Salted Caramel-Chocolate Pecan Pie
Photo: Hector Sanchez; Styling: Heather Chadduck Hillegas
More From Southern Living
Total: 1 Hour, 20 Minutes
- Chocolate Filling
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup 100% cacao unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup toasted chopped pecans
- 1 (9-inch) unbaked deep-dish piecrust shell
- Salted Caramel Topping
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 2 cups toasted pecan halves
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1. Prepare Filling: Preheat oven to 350°. Stir together first 6 ingredients in a large bowl. Add eggs, stirring until well blended. Fold in chopped pecans. Pour mixture into pie shell.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes. (Filling will be loose but will set as it cools.) Remove from oven to a wire rack.
- 3. Prepare Topping: Bring 3/4 cup sugar, 1 Tbsp. lemon juice, and 1/4 cup water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. (Do not stir.) Boil, swirling occasionally after sugar begins to change color, 8 minutes or until dark amber. (Do not walk away from the pan, as the sugar could burn quickly once it begins to change color.) Remove from heat; add cream and 4 Tbsp. butter. Stir constantly until bubbling stops and butter is incorporated (about 1 minute). Stir in table salt.
- 4. Arrange pecan halves on pie. Top with warm caramel. Cool 15 minutes; sprinkle with sea salt.
- Note: We tested with Hershey's 100% Cacao Special Dark Cocoa and Maldon Sea Salt Flakes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This