I have made this pie twice since Thanksgiving, and it is wonderful!! The key to it is give it plenty of time to set up. I made the filling exactly as the recipe stated. I added an additional 5 minutes to the baking time, but any longer would have made the filling overdone. Don't forget to check on the pie crust!! The filling is very similar to a chocolate chess pie that I've made for years. After reading the reviews prior to making it the first time, I decided to omit the lemon juice in the caramel topping. I didn't want to risk it being too bitter. It was fine without it. The topping took a little longer than 8 minutes. The color changes rapidly once that process begins, and I went with a lighter caramel for the second pie that was great! I followed every other part of the recipe as written. I would allow at least 5 hours for this pie to set before serving. My husband LOVES it, and it received many rave reviews at two holiday gatherings.
Salted Caramel-Chocolate Pecan Pie
A cross between a fudge pie and pecan pie, this is all the more stunning if you arrange the pecans from the center in a spiral pattern.
More From Southern Living
Total: 1 Hour, 20 Minutes
- Chocolate Filling
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup 100% cacao unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup toasted chopped pecans
- 1 (9-inch) unbaked deep-dish piecrust shell
- Salted Caramel Topping
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 2 cups toasted pecan halves
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1. Prepare Filling: Preheat oven to 350°. Stir together first 6 ingredients in a large bowl. Add eggs, stirring until well blended. Fold in chopped pecans. Pour mixture into pie shell.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes. (Filling will be loose but will set as it cools.) Remove from oven to a wire rack.
- 3. Prepare Topping: Bring 3/4 cup sugar, 1 Tbsp. lemon juice, and 1/4 cup water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. (Do not stir.) Boil, swirling occasionally after sugar begins to change color, 8 minutes or until dark amber. (Do not walk away from the pan, as the sugar could burn quickly once it begins to change color.) Remove from heat; add cream and 4 Tbsp. butter. Stir constantly until bubbling stops and butter is incorporated (about 1 minute). Stir in table salt.
- 4. Arrange pecan halves on pie. Top with warm caramel. Cool 15 minutes; sprinkle with sea salt.
- Note: We tested with Hershey's 100% Cacao Special Dark Cocoa and Maldon Sea Salt Flakes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note