Caramel-Cashew Shortbread Bars
These thick shortbread bars have a crusty, sweet caramel edge. Trim it off if you like. We thought it was yummy.
Yield: 32 bars
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter or margarine, cut up
- 1 (14-ounce) package caramels (we tested with Farley's)
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup finely chopped unsalted cashew nuts
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup uncooked regular oats
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped unsalted cashew nuts
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
- Combine 2 cups flour and powdered sugar in a bowl. Cut 1 cup butter into flour mixture with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly. Spoon flour mixture into an ungreased 13" x 9" baking dish. Press crumb mixture firmly into pan. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until shortbread crust is lightly browned.
- Melt caramels and whipping cream in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring frequently. Remove from heat, and stir in 1/2 cup cashews. Pour over crust in pan.
- Combine 1/4 cup flour, oats, brown sugar, 1/4 cup cashews, and melted butter; stir well. Dollop streusel mixture over caramel in pan, spreading slightly. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars, using a sharp knife.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts