I turned this into a cupcake recipe. I didn't make the filling. The cupcakes baked for about 15 minutes. They were very delicious but my only critique is that they tasted like plain vanilla cupcakes. I made the frosting too and it didn't taste very caramely either. But they were still good!
Caramel Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Brown sugar stars in this drop-dead-scrumptious dessert, adding depth and complexity to everything from the yellow cake layers to the creamy caramel filling and cream cheese frosting. Use a candy thermometer to give the caramel proper flavor and consistency–get it right, and this cake could make your reputation as a baker.
Chill: 4 Hours
Bake: 35 Minutes
- 3 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 cups light brown sugar, divided
- 1 1/4 cups butter, softened and divided
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting
- Garnish: Pecan Praline
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Grease 2 (9-inch) round cake pans; line with lightly greased parchment or wax paper.
- 2. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl; set aside. Place 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar, 1/4 cup light brown sugar, and 1 cup butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed 5 minutes or until well blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla. Add flour mixture and 1 cup milk alternately to butter mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture and beating at low speed after each addition. Pour into prepared pans; sharply tap pans once on counter to remove air bubbles. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely on wire rack. Place 1 layer on a cake plate.
- 3. Combine 1 1/2 cups brown sugar, evaporated milk, and 1/4 cup butter in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Cook (without stirring) until a candy thermometer registers 238°. Transfer to a heat-resistant bowl, and beat 3 minutes or until thickened and easy to spread. Quickly spread filling over cake layer on plate. Cover loosely with plastic wrap; chill 15 minutes or until set.
- 4. Spread a thin layer of Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting over filling. Top with second layer. Frost cake. Chill 20 minutes or until frosting sets, then cover and chill 4 hours or overnight. Let stand 10 minutes at room temperature before serving. Garnish, if desired.
Chill time is 4 hours or overnight.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Cakes/Frostings