This turned out very nicely. I did use store-bought pie crust, otherwise followed the recipe to a T. I think the combination of Granny Smith and Fuji is perfect. When these apples are sliced thinly, they cook up very well; not underdone, and not mushy. I would definitely make this again. Not necessary to add spices. This is a caramel apple pie, and caramel apples are not made with cinnamon and nutmeg.
Caramel Apple Pie
Photo: Ellen Silverman; Styling: Toni Brogan
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 280
- Fat: 8.4g
- Saturated fat: 4.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 2.2g
- Carbohydrate: 49.6g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Cholesterol: 15mg
- Iron: 1.1mg
- Sodium: 169mg
- Calcium: 14mg
- 1.1 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 5.6 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons chilled vegetable shortening, cut into small pieces
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 cups thinly sliced peeled Granny Smith apple (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 3 cups thinly sliced peeled Fuji apple (about 1 pound)
- Caramel sauce:
- 1/2 cup fat-free caramel sundae syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1. To prepare the topping, weigh or lightly spoon 1.1 ounces (about 1/4 cup) flour in a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, brown sugar, and 2 tablespoons butter in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until crumbly. Transfer topping to a bowl; cover and chill.
- 2. To prepare crust, weigh or lightly spoon 5.6 ounces (about 1 1/4 cups) flour in dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a food processor; pulse 2 times or until combined. Add 3 tablespoons butter and shortening; pulse 4 times or until mixture resembles coarse meal. With processor on, add 3 tablespoons water through food chute, processing just until combined (do not form a ball). Press mixture gently into a 4-inch circle on plastic wrap; cover and chill 15 minutes. Slightly overlap 2 sheets of plastic wrap on a slightly damp surface. Unwrap dough, and place on plastic wrap. Cover with 2 additional sheets of overlapping plastic wrap. Roll dough into an 11-inch circle. Freeze dough 5 minutes or until plastic wrap can be easily removed.
- 3. Preheat oven to 375°.
- 4. Discard top 2 sheets of plastic wrap; let dough stand 1 minute or until pliable. Fit dough, plastic-wrap side up, into a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Discard plastic wrap. Press dough into bottom and sides of pan. Fold edges under; flute.
- 5. To prepare filling, combine granulated sugar and cornstarch in a bowl; stir with a whisk. Add apples; toss to combine. Arrange apple mixture in crust, mounding slightly in the center. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes. Remove from oven; sprinkle evenly with topping. Bake at 375° for 25 additional minutes or until golden. Cool on a wire rack 20 minutes.
- 6. To prepare sauce, combine caramel syrup and salt. Slice pie into 12 wedges, and serve with sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts