I have made this twice for dinner parties. I didn't bother making my own caramel sauce but used store bought and topped with salted peanuts. The crust is too hard and slips off the plate when using a fork, it is delicious however. I will make my own pie crust, sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon the next time I make it. It was delicious and everyone really likes having their own individual desert.
Caramel Apple Ice-cream Tarts
Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Buffy Hargett
More From Southern Living
Total: 6 Hours, 5 Minutes
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups peeled and diced Gala apples
- 1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 2 pt. vanilla ice cream
- Caramel Sauce
- 1/2 cup lightly salted roasted pecans
- Garnish: Caramelized Apple Chips
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Pulse first 4 ingredients in a food processor 10 to 12 times or until mixture resembles coarse meal. Firmly press on bottom and up sides of 8 (3 3/4-inch) round tart pans with removable bottoms (about 7 Tbsp. per pan). Place tart pans on a baking sheet. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely on baking sheet on a wire rack (about 30 minutes).
- 2. Melt 2 Tbsp. butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add apples and brown sugar. Cook, stirring constantly, 8 to 10 minutes or until tender and caramelized. Remove from heat, and stir in bourbon. Cool completely (about 30 minutes).
- 3. Let ice cream stand at room temperature 10 minutes or until softened; place ice cream in a large bowl, and stir in apple mixture. Cover and freeze 4 hours or until firm. Serve in tart shells with Caramel Sauce and pecans. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts