I have made this twice for dinner parties. I didn't bother making my own caramel sauce but used store bought and topped with salted peanuts. The crust is too hard and slips off the plate when using a fork, it is delicious however. I will make my own pie crust, sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon the next time I make it. It was delicious and everyone really likes having their own individual desert.
Caramel Apple Ice-cream Tarts
Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Buffy Hargett
This shortbread crust is the perfect foil for ice cream.
Yield: Makes 8 servings
More From Southern Living
Total: 6 Hours, 5 Minutes
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups peeled and diced Gala apples
- 1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 2 pt. vanilla ice cream
- Caramel Sauce
- 1/2 cup lightly salted roasted pecans
- Garnish: Caramelized Apple Chips
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Pulse first 4 ingredients in a food processor 10 to 12 times or until mixture resembles coarse meal. Firmly press on bottom and up sides of 8 (3 3/4-inch) round tart pans with removable bottoms (about 7 Tbsp. per pan). Place tart pans on a baking sheet. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely on baking sheet on a wire rack (about 30 minutes).
- 2. Melt 2 Tbsp. butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add apples and brown sugar. Cook, stirring constantly, 8 to 10 minutes or until tender and caramelized. Remove from heat, and stir in bourbon. Cool completely (about 30 minutes).
- 3. Let ice cream stand at room temperature 10 minutes or until softened; place ice cream in a large bowl, and stir in apple mixture. Cover and freeze 4 hours or until firm. Serve in tart shells with Caramel Sauce and pecans. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note