Baking time should be 45 minutes total, very confusing instructions. The coffee cake is delicious and great for this time of year with lots of apples to choose from.
Caramel Apple Coffee Cake
Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Buffy Hargett
More From Southern Living
Total: 4 Hours, 50 Minutes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups peeled and sliced Granny Smith apples (about 3 large)
- Streusel Topping
- Caramel Sauce
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Melt 2 Tbsp. butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add apples; sauté 5 minutes or until softened. Remove from heat; cool completely (about 30 minutes).
- 2. Meanwhile, prepare Streusel Topping and Caramel Sauce. Reserve 1/2 cup Caramel Sauce for another use.
- 3. Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition.
- 4. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed until blended after each addition. Stir in vanilla. Pour batter into a greased and floured shiny 9-inch springform pan; top with apples. Drizzle with 1/2 cup Caramel Sauce; sprinkle with Streusel Topping.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Cover loosely with aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning; bake 25 to 30 minutes or until center is set. (A wooden pick will not come out clean.) Cool in pan on a wire rack 30 minutes; remove sides of pan. Cool completely on wire rack (about 1 1/2 hours). Drizzle with 1/2 cup Caramel Sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts