This pie lacked any flavor. It sure does look wonderful when it is made, but consistency of the middle layer is horrible and it has very little apple flavor. I will make a standard ol' apple pie next year!
Caramel Apple Blondie Pie
Buttery rich layers of tender cake and caramelized apples add up to one sweet combo. The secret to the crisp, flaky crust? Baking in a cast-iron skillet on a lower oven rack.
More From Southern Living
Total: 4 Hours, 30 Minutes
- 6 large Granny Smith apples (about 3 lb.)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar, divided
- 1 cup butter, divided
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons bourbon
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped toasted pecans
- 1/2 (14.1-oz.) package refrigerated piecrusts
- Apple Cider Caramel Sauce
- 1. Peel apples, and cut into 1/4-inch-thick wedges. Toss with 2 Tbsp. flour and 1/2 cup brown sugar in a large bowl. Melt 1/4 cup butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add apple mixture, and sauté 15 minutes or until apples are tender and liquid is thickened. Remove from heat; cool completely (about 30 minutes).
- 2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°. Melt remaining 3/4 cup butter. Stir together 1 1/2 cups flour and next 2 ingredients in a large bowl. Add eggs, bourbon, 3/4 cup melted butter, and remaining 1 1/2 cups brown sugar, stirring until blended. Stir in pecans.
- 3. Fit piecrust into a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, gently pressing piecrust all the way up the sides of skillet. Spoon two-thirds of apple mixture over bottom of piecrust, spreading and gently pressing apple slices into an even layer using the back of a spoon. Spoon batter over apple mixture; top with remaining apple mixture.
- 4. Place pie on lower oven rack, and bake at 350° for 1 hour and 10 minutes to 1 hour and 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Remove from oven; cool pie completely on a wire rack.
- 5. Drizzle cooled pie with 1/3 cup Apple Cider Caramel Sauce. Serve with remaining sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note