More From Oxmoor House
Total: 10 Minutes
- Calories: 289
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 10.2g
- Saturated fat: 4.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 11g
- Carbohydrate: 40.6g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Cholesterol: 23mg
- Iron: 2.3mg
- Sodium: 533mg
- Calcium: 15mg
- 1 (8 1/2-ounce) French bread baguette, cut crosswise into 4 pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 (8-ounce) heirloom tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar (optional)
- 1. Preheat panini grill.
- 2. Cut bread pieces in half horizontally. Brush uncut sides of halves evenly with oil. Layer bottom halves of bread evenly with tomato slices, cheese, and basil leaves. Sprinkle with pepper, salt, and, if desired, vinegar. Cover with top halves.
- 3. Place sandwiches on panini grill; cook 2 minutes or until golden brown and cheese melts. Cut sandwiches in half, if desired.
- Kids Can Help: Another way to involve kids in cooking is to take them shopping with you. When it's tomato season, most farmers' markets have an amazing selection. Let your kids smell and touch the tomatoes before asking them to choose their favorites. Chances are greater that they'll eat them when they've been a part of the process!
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note