- 6 slices buttermilk or sourdough sandwich bread
- About 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 15 fresh basil leaves, rinsed
- 2 firm-ripe tomatoes (about 8 oz. total), sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- Salt and pepper
- calories 314
- caloriesfromfat 46 %
- protein 13 g
- fat 16 g
- satfat 6.9 g
- carbohydrate 30 g
- fiber 2.5 g
- sodium 465 mg
- cholesterol 33 mg
How to Make It
Brush one side of each bread slice with olive oil. Place 3 slices, oil side down, on a 10- by 15-inch baking sheet and layer evenly with basil leaves, tomato slices, and mozzarella slices. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper and top with remaining bread slices, oil side up.
Broil sandwiches 6 inches from heat, turning once, until bread is golden brown and cheese is melted, 2 to 3 minutes total. Serve immediately.
Nutritional analysis per sandwich.