- 2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso granules or 4 tablespoons instant coffee
- 2 1/2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free sweetened condensed milk
- 3/4 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- calories 219
- fat 2.9 g
- satfat 1.5 g
- protein 7.7 g
- carbohydrate 39.1 g
- cholesterol 64 mg
- iron 0.2 mg
- sodium 161 mg
- calcium 248 mg
How to Make It
Combine cornstarch and espresso granules in a large saucepan; gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until well blended. Bring to a boil over medium heat, and cook 1 minute or until slightly thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Gradually whisk about one-fourth of hot coffee mixture into egg yolks, and add to remaining hot coffee mixture, whisking constantly. Cook over medium-low heat 2 minutes or until a thermometer reaches 160°, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
Pour coffee mixture into a bowl; stir in sweetened condensed milk and remaining ingredients. Cover and chill 8 hours or overnight.
Pour mixture into the freezer can of 4-quart ice-cream freezer, and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.
Gelato (jeh-LAH-toh) is the Italian word for "ice cream."