Caponata alla Siciliana
This sweet-and-tart eggplant appetizer can be frozen for up to three months.
Yield: Makes 8 servings
- 2 medium eggplants, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup diced celery, about 3 ribs
- 1/2 cup pimiento-stuffed olives
- 1 (2 1/2-ounce) can sliced ripe olives, drained
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Pita chips or toasted bread rounds
- Sauté eggplants in 1/4 cup hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat for 10 minutes or until tender and slightly brown. Remove eggplant, and set aside.
- Sauté onions in 2 tablespoons olive oil in Dutch oven over medium heat 5 minutes or until golden. Add tomatoes and celery; simmer, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes or until celery is tender. Stir in olives, capers, and pine nuts. Return eggplant to Dutch oven.
- Stir red wine vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper into eggplant mixture. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes. Cool. Cover and chill 8 hours. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before serving. Serve with pita chips or toasted bread rounds.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note