Cantonese Steamed Tofu
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 373
- Calories from fat: 6.7%
- Protein: 17g
- Fat: 2.8g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Carbohydrate: 70g
- Fiber: 5.5g
- Sodium: 575mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- About 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon salted fermented black beans, rinsed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 tablespoon hot chili flakes
- 14 to 16 ounces firm low-fat or regular tofu
- 5 cups rinsed broccoli florets
- 1. In a 3- to 4-quart pan over high heat, bring rice and 3 cups water to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until rice is tender to bite, about 20 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in an 8- to 10-quart pan or a 14-inch wok, set a rack over at least 1 inch boiling water. Choose a shallow, rimmed pan about 8 inches wide that fits on the rack and can be lifted out (fashion a string harness, if needed).
- 3. In the shallow pan, combine vegetable broth, sherry, soy sauce, black beans, ginger, garlic, brown sugar, and chili flakes. Drain tofu on towels and cut into 1/2- by 1 1/2-inch pieces. Turn tofu over in seasonings in pan.
- 4. Cover pan with foil and set tofu pan on rack; cover larger pan. Steam on high heat until tofu is hot, about 10 minutes. Protecting hands, lift out tofu pan and rack. Keep tofu warm.
- 5. Add enough water to pan to make 1 inch deep and bring to a boil. Add broccoli, cover, and boil until just tender when pierced, 2 to 4 minutes. Drain.
- 6. Serve rice in bowls with tofu and juice, and broccoli. Add soy to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note