Every ingredient in this salad stands out as a star and makes a contrabution to the final persentation and taste. It is a beautifully constructed salad. Depending upon the tartness of the lime you are using, you may want a little more or less of the honey. Besides as a side salad and starter, I also served it as a light lunch with Seeduction Bread from Whole Foods and a very nice local fresh goat cheese. Yummy together.
Cantaloupe and Grilled Fig Salad
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner
The contrasting flavors of the sweet fruit and tangy lime juice plus the variety of textures in the fruits, nuts, and vegetables create an intriguing and beautiful first course.
Yield: 6 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 187
- Fat: 5.4g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Protein: 3.3g
- Carbohydrate: 35.9g
- Fiber: 4.2g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 215mg
- Calcium: 85mg
- 1 1/2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 9 Black Mission figs, trimmed and halved lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups baby arugula (about 3 ounces)
- 3 cups baby spinach (about 3 ounces)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 cup thinly vertically sliced red onion
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 12 thin wedges peeled seeded cantaloupe
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1. Prepare grill to medium-high heat.
- 2. Brush 1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce over cut sides of figs. Place figs, cut side down, on a grill rack; grill 1 minute on each side or until lightly browned. Remove from grill.
- 3. Combine remaining 1 tablespoon soy sauce, juice, honey, oil, garlic, and salt; stir with a whisk.
- 4. Combine arugula, spinach, celery, onion, and pepper. Arrange 2 cantaloupe wedges on each of 6 plates. Top each serving with about 1 cup arugula mixture, 3 fig halves, and 1 1/2 teaspoons nuts; drizzle with about 1 1/2 tablespoons dressing.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads