Just an FYI, a cup of cake flour weighs approximately 4 ounces! So the 12 ounces it is calling for is correct. If you used 24 ounces as mentioned above, you would have about six cups. This can be verified by looking it up on the internet or some cookbooks have weight measurement guides.
Canola Oil Pound Cake with Browned Butter Glaze
Photo: Johnny Autry; Styling: Leigh Ann Ross
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 50 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 294
- Fat: 12.6g
- Saturated fat: 4.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.9g
- Protein: 3.2g
- Carbohydrate: 42.8g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Cholesterol: 44mg
- Iron: 1.7mg
- Sodium: 149mg
- Calcium: 60mg
- 6 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 12 ounces cake flour (about 3 cups)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup nonfat buttermilk
- Cooking spray with flour (such as Baker's Joy)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. To prepare cake, combine oil and vanilla bean in a small skillet over medium-high heat, and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat. Let stand 10 minutes or until mixture cools to room temperature. Scrape seeds from bean, and stir into oil; discard bean.
- 3. Combine the oil mixture, 1 3/4 cups sugar, and 1/2 cup butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 5 minutes). Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt, stirring well with a whisk. Add the flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- 4. Spoon batter into a 10-inch tube pan coated with cooking spray, and spread evenly. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes on a wire rack, and remove from pan.
- 5. To prepare glaze, melt 1 tablespoon butter in a small skillet over medium heat; cook for 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from heat. Add the remaining ingredients, stirring until smooth. Drizzle glaze over warm cake.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Cakes/Frostings