Really tasty! I added a bit of onion and carrots to the garlic and sausage. I used spicy chicken sausage instead of the smoked sausage, but other than that followed the recipe. Very fast and very good!
Cannellini Stew with Sausage and Kale and Cheese Toasts
Randy Mayor; Jan Gautro
Try this dish with various flavored chicken sausages and other mild cheeses, such as fontina or mozzarella.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 cup stew and 1 toast)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 349
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 10.2g
- Saturated fat: 3.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Protein: 19.3g
- Carbohydrate: 45.3g
- Fiber: 8.5g
- Cholesterol: 39mg
- Iron: 4.9mg
- Sodium: 981mg
- Calcium: 214mg
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
- 4 (2-ounce) smoked turkey and duck sausages with fennel, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices (such as Gerhard's)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 (19-ounce) cans cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups bagged chopped kale
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons (1 1/2 ounces) shredded provolone cheese
- 6 (1-ounce) slices French bread baguette
- Preheat broiler.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add minced garlic and sausage; sauté 1 minute. Add water, broth, and beans; bring to a boil. Stir in kale, black pepper, red pepper, and salt; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes or until kale is tender. Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice.
- While soup simmers, sprinkle 1 tablespoon cheese over each bread slice; broil 1 minute or until cheese melts. Serve toasts with soup.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews