Great, easy recipe with a lot of flavor. Served with a warm crusty bread to sop up the liquid in the bottom of the bowl.
Cannellini Bean and Shrimp Stew
Cannellini beans are white kidney beans; substitute Great Northern beans, if you prefer.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 1/3 cups)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 318
- Calories from fat: 15%
- Fat: 5.3g
- Saturated fat: 0.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 24.9g
- Carbohydrate: 43.7g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Cholesterol: 116mg
- Iron: 5.6mg
- Sodium: 486mg
- Calcium: 340mg
- 1 pound unpeeled large shrimp
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups water
- 1 (8-ounce) bottle clam juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cups cooked cannellini beans
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Peel and devein shrimp, reserving shells. Cover and chill shrimp.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add reserved shrimp shells to pan; sauté 3 minutes or until shells turn pink. Stir in wine; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Stir in 2 cups water, clam juice, and bay leaf; simmer 12 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Set shrimp stock aside.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion to pan; cook 8 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Add tomato paste and garlic; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in thyme, salt, pepper, and tomatoes; bring to a simmer. Strain shrimp stock through a colander over Dutch oven; discard solids. Add beans to pan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes; remove from heat. Stir in shrimp; cover and let stand 5 minutes or until shrimp are done. Stir in parsley.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This