Candy Corn Chocolate Cakes
Create a cake version of the popular Halloween candy by frosting wedges of rich chocolate cake with orange, yellow and white buttercream frosting to resemble pieces of candy corn. It's a great recipe to make for a Halloween carnival cake walk.
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cocoa
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Buttercream Frosting
- Beat first 6 ingredients in a large bowl at medium speed with an electric mixer until blended. Stir in buttermilk.
- Stir together 1 cup hot water and baking soda; stir into batter. Stir in vanilla. Pour into 2 greased and floured 9-inch round cakepans.
- Bake at 350° for 30 to 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
- Freeze layers 30 minutes. Cut each layer into 8 wedges.
- Pipe frosting on top and sides of cake wedges to resemble candy corn. Using a medium star tip, pipe white frosting on the small end of each cake, yellow frosting on center, and orange on wide end.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note