Candy Cane Thumbprints
Photo: Gooseberry Patch
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Garnish: finely crushed peppermint candies
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons to 3 teaspoons milk
- Blend butter, sugar and salt with an electric mixer on low speed. Mix in egg and vanilla. Beat in as much flour as possible; stir in remaining flour.
- Cover; chill for one hour.
- Shape dough into one-inch balls; place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes, until lightly golden around edges.
- Remove from oven; make a thumbprint in each cookie with thumb. Cool.
- For Filling: blend butter and extract. Gradually add powdered sugar and milk to a piping consistency. Pipe filling into centers; sprinkle with crushed candy.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note