Candy Cane Cookies
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 45
- Calories from fat: 47%
- Protein: 0.5g
- Fat: 2.3g
- Saturated fat: 1.3g
- Carbohydrate: 5.5g
- Fiber: 0.1g
- Sodium: 44mg
- Cholesterol: 10mg
- 1 cup (1/2 lb.) butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Red food coloring
- 1. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on high speed, beat butter and sugar until smooth; beat in egg yolks.
- 2. In another bowl, mix flour, baking powder, and salt. In a small bowl, combine milk, vanilla, and peppermint extract. Stir flour mixture into butter mixture alternately with milk mixture, blending thoroughly after each addition.
- 3. Divide dough in half. Leave one half in the mixing bowl and stir in a few drops of red food coloring.
- 4. Divide each half of dough in half again (four portions total); wrap dough portions in waxed paper or cooking parchment and chill until firm but still pliable, about 1 hour.
- 5. Unwrap dough and roll each of the four pieces into a smooth rope about 15 inches long. Twist each white rope with a red rope into a 13-inch-long combined rope (for a total of two ropes). Wrap twisted rolls in waxed paper; chill until firm, at least 4 hours, or up to 1 week (see notes).
- 6. Unwrap dough. Using a sharp knife, cut rolls into 1/8-inch-thick slices; place slices about 1 inch apart on buttered 12- by 15-inch baking sheets.
- 7. Bake cookies in a 350° oven until light golden, about 10 minutes; transfer to racks to cool completely.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts