How does this freeze? Is it still as tasty?
We updated the Southern staple candied yams recipe so that it can be cooked in a slow cooker. It's an extra-easy choice to heat and take to your next family gathering or potluck dinner.
Prep: 15 min.; Cook: 4 hr., 2 min.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1. Microwave butter in a microwave-safe bowl at HIGH 30 seconds to 1 minute or until melted; stir in vanilla and salt.
- 2. Stir together granulated sugar and brown sugar in a medium bowl.
- 3. Layer potatoes and sugar mixture in a lightly greased 6-qt. slow cooker, beginning with potatoes and ending with sugar mixture. Pour butter mixture over top. Cover and cook on LOW 4 hours or until potatoes are tender.
- 4. Transfer potatoes to a serving dish using a slotted spoon, reserving liquid in slow cooker. Keep potatoes warm.
- 5. Remove 1/3 cup liquid from slow cooker; whisk cornstarch into 1/3 cup liquid until smooth. Carefully pour remaining liquid from slow cooker into a medium saucepan. Whisk in cornstarch mixture. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook 1 to 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over potatoes. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note