I cannot believe no one has rated this recipe...it is devine! I have given the recipe out to numerous people by request since it was in a "Christmas Southern Living" several years ago. I make it exactly as directed and it turns out wonderful. I may attempt making it a day ahead this year and reheating. The smell is fabulous...it'll put you in the Christmas spirit!
Candied Sweet Potatoes and Apples
Prepare these candied vegetables a day ahead and chill them; then when the ham's finished baking, reheat the vegetables just before serving.
Yield: 8 servings
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large Braeburn or other cooking apples, cored and cut into 1/2
- Cut sweet potatoes in half crosswise. Cook in boiling water to cover 10 minutes. Drain and cool. Cut crosswise into 1/2" slices.
- Combine brown sugar and next 3 ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil; boil 10 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
- Layer sweet potato and apple slices in a greased 13" x 9" baking dish. Pour glaze over slices. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 1 hour or until potatoes are candied and glaze is thickened, basting with glaze after 30 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables