Candied Orange Truffle Tart
Buy a fresh jar of curry powder and premium chocolate for this fudgy dessert. You'll be pleasantly surprised that curry permeates the trufflelike filling, candied orange topping, and yummy syrup. A sharp knife will cut easily through the decorated tart.
More From Oxmoor House
Other: 4 Hours
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoon unsalted butter, chilled and cut into 1/2
- 2 to 3 Tbsp. ice water
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
- 2 1/2 teaspoons curry powder (optional)
- 12 ounces dark chocolate, finely chopped (we tested with Ghirardelli Intense Dark 72% Cacao)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder (optional)
- 2 navel oranges, thinly sliced
- Pulse first 3 ingredients in a food processor 3 or 4 times or until combined. Add butter, and pulse 5 or 6 times or until crumbly. With processor running, gradually add 2 Tbsp. water, egg yolk, and vanilla; process until dough forms a ball and leaves sides of bowl, adding more water if necessary. Cover and chill 1 1/2 hours.
- Roll dough to a 12" circle on a lightly floured surface. Fit pastry in a 9" tart pan with removable bottom. Trim off excess pastry, allowing edges to overhang 1/2"; fold in overhang against inside edge of pan to form double-thick sides. Pierce bottom of pastry with a fork; freeze 20 minutes. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Whisk together whipping cream and next 3 ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Add chocolate, and whisk until smooth. Pour filling into baked crust. Refrigerate 2 hours or until firm.
- Whisk together 1 cup water, 1 cup sugar, and, if desired, 1/2 tsp. curry powder in a large heavy skillet. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Add orange slices to pan. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 25 to 30 minutes, turning slices occasionally, or until orange slices are translucent. Remove pan from heat; allow orange slices to cool in syrup.
- Arrange orange slices on top of tart before serving. Spoon remaining syrup over each serving.
- Fix It Faster: Omit the homemade crust (first 7 ingredients), and use 1/2 of a 15-oz. package of refrigerated piecrusts. Unroll piecrust and fit into pan. Prick with a fork. Bake at 375° for 18 minutes or until golden. Cool completely and proceed with filling.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note