Candied Ginger-Citrus Cookies
Prep and Cook Time: about 1 1/2 hours, plus at least 4 hours to chill. Notes: To grind the almonds, whirl in a blender or food processor. You can store these cookies airtight for up to 2 days.
Yield: Makes about 80 cookies
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 65
- Calories from fat: 46%
- Protein: 0.8g
- Fat: 3.3g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Carbohydrate: 8.2g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Sodium: 26mg
- Cholesterol: 2.8mg
- 1/2 cup butter (1/4 lb.), at room temperature
- 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light molasses
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- About 1/2 cup slivered almonds (3 oz.), finely ground, plus slivered almonds for garnish (optional)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped candied ginger
- 1. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter, shortening, and sugar until smooth; beat in molasses and lemon peel until well blended.
- 2. In another bowl, mix flour, baking soda, ground ginger, cinnamon, and cloves; stir into butter mixture until completely incorporated. Stir in almonds and candied ginger.
- 3. Divide dough into thirds. Shape each third into a roll about 1 1/2 inches in diameter; wrap rolls in waxed paper and chill until firm, at least 4 hours, or up to 1 week.
- 4. Unwrap dough. Using a sharp knife, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices; place slices about 1 inch apart on buttered or cooking parchment-lined 12- by 15-inch baking sheets. If desired, gently press a slivered almond into the middle of each cookie.
- 5. Bake cookies in a 350° oven until edges are lightly browned, 7 to 10 minutes. With a wide spatula, transfer cookies to racks to cool completely.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per cookie.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note